Union Baptist Church Historical Notes
The Old Meeting House, formerly the Free Will Baptist Church building, was purchased for approximately $2,000.00 on July 12, 1893, at 8:00 o'clock in The First Baptist Church of Pawtucket. Such well known names as Darling, Coates, Jenks, Newell, Goff, Hood, Payne, Conant were a few of the businessmen contributing to the purchase of the edifice. On July 12, 1893, Reverend Thomas L. Crocker was installed pastor and UNION BAPTIST CHURCH OF PAWTUCKET, RHODE ISLAND, was established.
The Union Baptist Church Family moved several times over the years in the interest of progress and to make way for Interstate 95: from East Street to School Street to Elm Street (approximately the locale of Apex Garden Center) in 1958, to our present location, 50 Lupine Street, in 1964.
Special Services were held at Slater Park and the Cathedral of the Pines. Community Outreach Programs developed: Walk from Prospect Heights to services at the church lead by Reverend Terrell; Union Baptist Against Alcohol and Drugs (UBAAD), a State of Rhode Island funded program, was established in 1985; Sex Education for the Christian Youth, the Under 30 Club for young adults, the interfaith Community Partnership for Pawtucket and Central Falls Church Program, and the Substance Abuse Prevention Program, are a few. The Church has prospered by tithing (Malachi 3). We laid the cornerstone on the Hundredth Anniversary, purchased a new van (1995), made the church entrance handicap accessible (1996), established a scholarship program and have just been awarded a Reading Program Grant and have purchased the adjacent undeveloped land for off-street parking. Under the leadership of our new Pastor, William L. Shaw, II, we are already in the planning stages of adding on to the edifice as well as remodel the restrooms and kitchen.
This is a small visit into our past but Union Baptist Church is now a Church on the Move and we will continue to laugh, cry, pray and sing praises to God right into the next millennium.
|Rev. Thomas L. Crocker||1893-94||Rev. Fred L. Thomas||
Rev. George K. Folks ||
1895||Rev. D. D. Robert ||
Rev. William Perry ||
Rev. William S. Holland ||
1903-08, 1917-22 ||Rev. George E. Hughes ||
Rev. O. S. Paul Thompson||
1912-13, 1933||Rev. Colston||
1915-16||Rev. C. H. Garlick ||
Rev. Luke Jones||
Rev. C. Becker||
1925-29||Rev. David Moss ||
1934||Rev. Rosco Nelson ||
Rev. Rosco Nelson ||
1943, 1950-66||Rev. Blyden||
Rev. Robert Suggs ||
1966-68||Rev. Henry Young ||
Rev. Bravell Dodd ||
1971-73||Rev. Alfred Terrell ||
Rev. Ronald L. Carter ||
1978-88||Rev. Daphne Wiggins* ||
Rev. Colonel Heidleberg*||1989-91||Rev. L. C. Hopes||1991-98
|Rev. William L. Shaw, II||1999 to Date|
|Deac. Peter Morris, Diaconate Chairman||Sis. Ada Shelton, Trustee Board Chairman
||Sis. Geraldine Addision, Financial Secretary||Sis. Lorna Profitt, Treasurer
||Sis. Ada Shelton, Church Clerk||Sis. Vivian Balcom, Sunday School Superintendant
||Sis. Frances Draper, Children's Church Dean||Sis. Cecile Spiver, Adult Choir President
||Sis. Sandra Qualls, Usher Board Director||Sis. Betty Brown, Missionary President